Charleston Criminal Domestic Violence Attorney
If you have been charged with criminal domestic violence, you need an experienced attorney fighting for you. I am Ravi Sanyal, a former prosecutor with 14 years of experience in criminal defense.
In South Carolina, Criminal Domestic Violence is defined as physically harming or threatening to physically harm a household member.
Household member is defined as:
- A spouse
- A former spouse
- Persons who have a child in common
- A male and female who are cohabiting
Experienced South Carolina Lawyer for Domestic Abuse
The penalties if convicted for criminal domestic violence are as follows:
- 1st offense (no prior criminal domestic violence conviction) is a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to 30 days in Jail and or a fine of up to 5k and/or up to 26 weeks of counseling (prosecuted in Magistrates Court)
- 2nd offense (one prior criminal domestic violence conviction within the last 10 years) is a misdemeanor with a penalty of 30 days to up to 1 year and or a fine of up to 10k. (Prosecuted in General Sessions Court or Transfer Court)
- 3rd Offense (two or more criminal domestic violence convictions in 10 years) is a felony with a penalty from 1 to 5 years. (Prosecuted in General Sessions Court)
Criminal Domestic Violence of a High and Aggravated Nature (CDVHAN) is a felony with a penalty from 1 year to 10 years.
It is defined as an assault and battery which involves the use of a deadly weapon or results in serious bodily injury to the victim
An assault with or without an accompanying battery which would reasonably cause a person to fear imminent serious bodily harm
Contact Me Today
To schedule a free initial consultation with a Charleston criminal domestic violence attorney, call my office at 843-641-0347 or toll free at 888-576-4952. Or send an email using the form on this website. I can provide evening, weekend and off-site appointments upon request. I accept all major credit cards